Friday 28 October 2011

Conversion. (Part 4)

Coming to sushiland, I immediately looked for a church I could go to. I managed to find one that was a 40 minute walk away from where I stayed so I visited the church for the Saturday evening mass one day. Everything was in Japanese, I wasn't part of the mass at all. Everything seemed to just go by without me being part of worship, prayers and it didn't feel particularly good. I asked the priest after the mass if there was any other church nearby where mass was in English and he recommended me one. I went, it wasn't exactly the same as back home, but it felt much closer to the church back home and I felt some comfort in my time of distress. But what I really wanted, was to continue my RCIA process. Unfortunately for me, the church I went to didn't have RCIA in English but the priest agreed to have me on a one-on-one class to prepare me for my baptism in Easter. It was great. I could ask all the questions I couldn't ask in class back at home and get answers directly from someone who consecrates the holy mass. 


I was still very unhappy about my situation and everything else but I felt peaceful within. I looked forward to coming to mass every weekend at this point and for my class. It was the only two things I found joy in. My burden seem to just float away on Sundays. From a faith that was based on understanding and logical thinking by the brain, the transition was happening to actual faith from coming from the heart and I really cannot describe how I was feeling exactly. After 3 months, I went back to Penang and my journey continued back in my first church. 


When I got back, I missed some of the topics they covered in class but it didn't really concern me because I was happier with what I learnt on my own journey in Japan with Fr. Leo. I had a reference letter from Fr. Leo and I was allowed to continue my preparation for baptism. Lent began and the three scrutinies too. After my first scrutiny, I met someone in church. Someone who gave me fresh things to think about which were never mentioned in class, and to help my faith grow through means other than black and white, paper and pen. My mentor. This was actually my second meeting with him. I didn't have a very good first impression after our first meeting due to certain things but this time it felt different. In a good way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment