Monday 10 October 2011

De Profundis

De Profundis. It is the Latin translation for the first words of Psalm 130. My interpretation of it would be a kind of penitential prayer. De Profundis means, ''out of the depths of despair'' I believe. As I do not know much about Latin, I've depended on many Many MANY online translations to confirm the dependency of this translation. The Psalm goes on, crying out to God, waiting for divine redemption. 


Psalm 130 : Waiting for Divine Redemption 



1 Out of the depths I cry to you, LORD;
 2 Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive
   to my cry for mercy.

 3 If you, LORD, kept a record of sins,
   Lord, who could stand?
4 But with you there is forgiveness,
   so that we can, with reverence, serve you.

 5 I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits,
   and in his word I put my hope.
6 I wait for the Lord
   more than watchmen wait for the morning,
   more than watchmen wait for the morning.

 7 Israel, put your hope in the LORD,
   for with the LORD is unfailing love
   and with him is full redemption.
8 He himself will redeem Israel
   from all their sins.




Being horrible at naming anything, this might pretty much be one of those cases but the idea came to me during mass today despite the fact that today's readings weren't exactly about this. But well, I thought it was suitable since it sort of fits my current state of mind, and its not just a Psalm to cry out to God during bad times but also to repent for our sins and ask for forgiveness. We're all sinners. Accept it! In verse 4 the psalmist brings up that we are afraid of God because He is powerful, yet we love Him because He is so compassionate towards us and forgiving. In verse 5, he waits hopefully for 'something good' to happen through Him. He emphasizes how much he wants this in the next verse how he says he wants the Lord more than he wants the morning to come. The word 'Redeemer' in the last verse we know that its one of the names of Jesus. Although the psalmist didn't know this due to his ancientness. 


My point is, there're many things we can or rather should keep in mind from this short Psalm. We tend to want other things or other methods to solve/run away from our problems. Indeed at times, there may be certain practical methods to solve a problem but we must not lose faith in God in the process of wanting a solution like a 'new morning' as in verse 6. I'm starting to lose my point and forgetting what I wanted to say in the first place so, I shalln't go on before I'm talking more crap than I already am. 


This marks the day of my blogging, and hopefully to more hopeful, cheerful days ahead of course by, ''Coming out of the depths of despair'' De Profundis 

No comments:

Post a Comment